12/18/10

My new super special awesome ultra chocolaty secret deck that isn't quite so secret anymore.

I just couldn't keep it quiet. It's the second deck I've come up with that's able to beat the decks up on tier one, and the only one that's legal right now. The limitation of Destiny Draw screwed the other one. And it's not like I do large-scale tourneys, so I'm not losing out on anything by telling the world. Here's the decklist:

Monsters - 37

Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
Tragoedia
Caius the Shadow Monarch
Caius the Shadow Monarch
Caius the Shadow Monarch

Magical Merchant
Magical Merchant
Magical Merchant
Card Trooper
Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
Swap Frog
Swap Frog
Swap Frog
Treeborn Frog
Fishborg Blaster
Fishborg Blaster
Deep Sea Diva
Deep Sea Diva
Deep Sea Diva
Reese the Ice Mistress
Spined Gillman
Blackwing - Sirocco the Dawn
Blackwing - Sirocco the Dawn
Blackwing - Vayu the Emblem of Honor
Blackwing - Vayu the Emblem of Honor
Destiny Hero - Malicious
Destiny Hero - Malicious
Plaguespreader Zombie
Level Eater
Debris Dragon
Debris Dragon
Dandylion
Dandylion
Quickdraw Synchron
Quickdraw Synchron
Quickdraw Synchron
Necro Gardna

Spells - 3

Pot of Avarice
Pot of Avarice
Cold Wave

It's Monster Surge... with a twist. Provided you get a Merchant off first turn or draw a Swap Frog, you have a draw engine in the form of Fishborg Blaster and Treeborn Frog. (Don't forget the Treeborn summon. I do this all the time, and it's cost me more than one game.) Every turn, you can synch for a Formula Synchron, and with the three Caius, the Malicious, and the Armed Wings you can make, alongside the Plaguespreader and Diva engine, Shooting Star can come out in twos. He's your boss monster, for those times you can't do the Colossal Arms OTK. You'll also want to be doing this under Cold Wave, because if your Shooting Star play gets nipped, you're kind of a sitting duck until you get another one.

Now, you might be wondering why I consider it able to beat tier one. Decks like Jason Grabher-Meyer's build (see TCGplayer.com for it) had a lot of high-impact Special Summons, like Dark Simorgh, Chaos Sorcerer and Dark Creator, but it didn't have too much consistency--my build gets its engine off on the first turn almost every game. It can play out of bad hands as well. I've drawn three Caius, a Diva, a Gillman, and a Malicious, and I ended up winning that game against Machina Gadgets. (It 2-1ed me because of a misplay I made first game, but that's not really the point.) The deck is just really fun to play, and it's so satisfying to slap down a Shooting Star Dragon. The deck can also make Red Nova Dragon, but I chose to focus on Shooting Star because of deck space. If you decide to drop the two Debris, two Dandylion and Quickdraw, you can also throw in a Miracle Fusion or two over Cold Wave and an Avarice, and add a Hero engine (Stratos, two Wildheart, two Ocean). I'm actually thinking about doing that, because the lone Quickdraw (it's at one because of extra deck space) isn't quite cutting it, and the Debris is only in here for Black Rose nukes and Shooting Star shenanigans. Let me quickly elaborate on that; if you have Caius on the field or Malicious in hand/grave and Diva/Reese/Plaguespreader in grave, you can make your Formula for the turn, drop Debris, pull one of the Tuners, bring out a Malicious, and you have a Shooting Star OR a Red Nova Dragon. Shooting Star takes less card utility, but it doesn't get nearly as big. The deck has 14 Tuners (17 when you count Formula Synchron), which makes Red Nova top out at 12000. Heh. And your opponent isn't likely to kill it next turn, as the only ways it leaves are being RFPed or bounced... I'm not doing the Hero build. I would like to find room for a Chevalier de Fleur in the extra deck though, which is right here.

Formula Synchron
Formula Synchron
Formula Synchron
Shooting Star Dragon
Red Nova Dragon
Stardust Dragon
Stardust Dragon
Red Dragon Archfiend
Blackwing Armed Wing
Blackwing Armed Wing
Black Rose Dragon
Drill Warrior
Ally of Justice Catastor
Colossal Fighter
Armory Arm

As you can see, it's REALLY packed. I wanted to run an Iron Chain Dragon, to further justify my Debris Dragons, but there isn't room when I'm running Quickdraw and the Spined Gillman. You know what? I'm gonna do that. I am keeping the Dandylions, but Quickdraw is out. So is Drill Warrior. But wait, they're 6* monsters for the Shooting Star summons... I need to add another two Quickdraw... especially with the Level Eater in there. It's staying. This is the kind of thing I hate about deck building. No deck should run over 40, although I've considered 50 or 60 card builds. I think it's justified. It'd need ways to search Merchant though. Anyway, done with the random tangent. I changed the original build while writing this post. Drill Warrior is staying at one, because I can reuse it with Pot of Avarice (which I dropped from two to one for Monster Reborn, because of slightly low utility.) I added the two Quickdraw Synchron, taking out Super-Nimble Mega Hamster and one Ryko.

So, this is my new super special awesome ultra chocolaty secret deck that isn't quite so secret anymore. I'm taking it to a locals tomorrow. I'll make a follow-up post telling you all how it did. Keep innovating.
~Fugglor

P.S. - I forgot the sideboard. It probably slipped my mind because I have almost none of these cards.

Thunder King Rai-Oh
Thunder King Rai-Oh
Thunder King Rai-Oh
D.D. Crow
D.D. Crow
Breaker the Magical Warrior
Breaker the Magical Warrior
Breaker the Magical Warrior
Treeborn Frog
Cyber Dragon
Cyber Dragon
Chimeratech Fortress Dragon
Battle Fader
Battle Fader
Battle Fader

UPDATE ~ The deck took 4-1 at Locals yesterday. Lost 2-1 to Infernities. The win I got was right after I milled EVERY CARD in the deck with Merchant. I pulled Pot of Avarice, put back three Caius and two Debris Dragon. Released my on-field Treeborn, removed Grepher, hit for 2400. 8000-4600. He set and passed. Next turn, Treeborn comes back, COLD WAVE FOR GAME LOLOLOLOLOL. Release Treeborn for Caius #2, removed facedown, attack for game. Two cards left in deck, on the third turn...

My wins were against a mishmash, Ancient Gears, Chow, and Machina Gadgets. Those last two games gave me a goddamn ulcer. I won both on game 3 by like 400 LP. But I ended up pulling second place, and got myself 20 bucks store credit. All in all, pretty good day. ^_^

2 comments:

  1. Except you pulled shit XD what exactly are you guys referring to when you say mishmash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mishmash means a bunch of random cards thrown together.

    ReplyDelete